Tuesday, August 5, 2008

1992 Dream Team


For a short period of time every four years we are blessed to be able to watch the best America has to offer for the Olympic Basketball Team.

When it comes to the Olympics my competitive mode kicks in, my chest swells with pride and I may even get a little misty eyed. Not just for Basketball but for all events. Volleyball, swimming, diving, etc.

I set my alarm extra, extra early this morning to watch the last exhibition match before the first game of the Beijing Olympics between Team USA and Australia. After a 21 point win against Team Russia, the Americans were considered "off" and sadly, even though we won by 21 I would have to agree. Australia was much of the same.

So this definitely kicked me into nostalgia mode and I hit up youtube and searched for the 1992 Dream Team with players such as Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, the list goes on and on!

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the 2008 Basketball team. I think we're light years ahead of the competition. But when I watch these young kids perform I don't see the same passion, showmanship, and pride as we saw in 1992.

That doesn't mean that these guys lack it. I know they're very patriotic and determined to bring in the best games for our country to make us fellow Americans proud.

I basically want to see every member of the NBA (minus those who are from foreign countries of course) DIE for the chance to not only make the US Team but put on the kind of show that MJ and company did in the early 90s.

Definitely get used to the next three weeks of me talking about the Olympics in all events. I love this stuff. Enjoy a nice highlight clip from those amazing players we all loved so much.


3 comments:

The Pajama Pundit said...

Hell yeah! That's is some old-school sh*t right there!

I remember those days - when Bell-Biv-DeVoe was tearin' up the charts and I wore some really baggy pants - with a cuff at the bottom.

Memories......

The Omnipotent Blogger said...

LOL. good old PJ.

Yea, I just turned 12 when this was going down. But I remember every bit of it and was just as proud of them then as I am today!

GO TEAM USA!

Anonymous said...

do I get to take part of your post out of context and be shocked that you'd say:

"I basically want to see every member of the NBA (minus those who are from foreign countries of course) DIE..."